Translate

Computer Science and ICT

meet the team


INTRODUCTION

In today’s world, where ICT is constantly changing, individuals increasingly need technological and information literacy skills. These skills are now as essential as the traditional skills of numeracy and literacy. As well as the rapid development of new technologies, familiar technologies like television, telephone and computers are evolving and being expanded by digitised information. As a result of this, there is a growing need for individuals who can master and manipulate these new technologies. Computing and ICT here at Southam College encourages learners to start becoming discerning users of both ICT skills and Computer Programming. It allows them to develop a broad range of skills, knowledge and understanding.

KEY STAGE 3

In Years 7 and 8, students are studying Computing but also continue to gain vital, lifelong skills, in area of ICT. The aim is to help students feel empowered to engage and to think imaginatively and creatively to solve problems, rather than purely concentrating on the practical aspects of the subject. The course is designed to ensure that students develop practical programming skills as well as an appreciation of how computing has and continues to develop. They also look at how to use the Internet safely and effectively to find information.

In Year 9, all students take one term of ICT as part of their Enrichment Activities, alongside Business and Food Technology.

KEY STAGE 4

Students opting for Computing and ICT at Key Stage 4 follow one of two pathways. The pathway options are as follows:



key stage 5

OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technicals Introductory Diploma in IT

This qualification is designed for learners who want to continue their education through applied learning by developing their knowledge and understanding of the principles of IT and global information systems. Achievement of this qualification can support progression to go on and study in a Higher Education institution either on relevant IT degrees such as, Computing and Technology or Business IT or support progression on to other degree courses.

Learners will take two mandatory units to achieve the AS qualification (Fundamentals of IT and Global information systems) both of which are externally assessed via an examination. The units provide learners with an insight into the IT sector as they investigate the pace of technological change, IT infrastructure, the flow of information on a global scale and important legal and security considerations.

The full A Level qualification requires learners to take a further 3 coursework units (Application Design which is mandatory, Web Design & Prototyping and Project Management).

OCR AS and A Level Computer Science

Computer Science is a practical subject where students can apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real-world systems. It’s an intensely creative subject that combines invention and excitement, that can look at the natural world through a digital prism. Computer Science qualifications value computational thinking, helping students to develop the skills to solve problems, design systems and understand the power and limits of human and machine intelligence.

The AS consists of two components: Computing Principles and Algorithms & Problem Solving which will be externally assessed and weighted at 50% each.

The A Level consists of three components: two of which, Computing Principles; Algorithms and Problem Solving will be externally assessed making up 80% of the qualification. The other 20% will be the Programming Project where students select their own user-driven problem of an appropriate size and complexity to solve. They will need to analyse the problem, design a solution, implement the solution and give a thorough evaluation.

Powered by Finalsite