Health & Social Care
In the health and social department we care about every student’s personal development. We aim to aspire and motivate students to ‘be the best they can be’. By linking topics to everyday life situations students are able to immerse themselves in various discussions about relevant units. Some of these topics include physical, intellectual, emotional and social development through the life stages.
Year 9 are currently undertaking a foundation year to build their skills and knowledge ready for next year when they start their BTEC (Pearsons) First award in health and social care. Students will overall be graded with a: Level 2 distinction*, level 2 distinction, level 2 merit, level 2 pass or level 1.
Topics they will study include:
- Unit 1: Human lifespan development (External)
- Unit 2: Health and social care values (Internal)
- Unit 4: Social influences on health and well being (Internal)
- Unit 5: Promoting health and wellbeing (Internal)
Year 11 students are currently in the middle of studying for their GCSE in health and social care (AQA).
Units they are undertaking include:
- Unit 1: Understanding personal development and relationships (External exam) 40% of overall grade
- Unit 2: Health, social care and early years provision (Internal controlled assessment) 60% of overall grade
Year 12 students are following the BTEC (Pearsons) extended certificate in health and social care.
Topics studied in year 12 include: Human lifespan development (External exam), Meeting individual care and support needs (Internal assignments).
Topics studied in year 13 BTEC include: Working in health and social care (External exam), Sociological perspectives (Internal assignments).
This is the final year that students will complete the OCR Cambridge Technical level 3 course in health and social care. Topics the students will study this year include: Unit 12: physiological disorders, unit 4: development through the life stages, unit 20: dealing with challenging behaviour and unit 24: dementia care.